Marriage License Info


Marriage License Application

Vital Records Partner Information Regarding Marriage Registration

Application for Amendment of Marriage Certificate

The Fee for a Marriage License is $25.00. Applicants may prepay for a certified copy for an additional $9.00. The certified copy is required for some applicants to change their name on their driver's license and for social security records to be changed.

  2. Both applicants must appear at the County Clerk’s Office to apply for a marriage license.
  3. One form of current unexpired identification is required-such as a photo ID, driver’s license or passport.
    • PhotoID
      A photo ID or driver's license including CDL's, learner’s permits and provisional operator’s license which contains the name and date of birth along with recognizable photograph. This will work as long as the license is not mutilated or altered and that signatures match.
    • Passports
      A U.S. passport, which contains your name, date of birth and recognizable photograph. A foreign passport containing name, date of birth, recognizable photograph.
    • Note: Statute 42-104 states "Each party shall present satisfactory documentary proof and shall swear or affirm to the application giving: (1) Full name of each applicant and residents: and (2) the place, date and year of birth of each." It is customary in this office to require a photo ID as "satisfactory documentary proof" of identity such as a driver's licenses, state id's, & passports.  A birth certificate by itself cannot positively establish identity.
  4. Applicants must supply their Social security numbers, if no Social Security number then applicant must sign affidavit in front of county clerk or deputy county clerk.
  5. Applicants must supply their birth places (City and State or foreign country).
  6. Applicants must supply the full names of their parents (including mother's full maiden name), and their parent's birthplace (City and State or foreign country).
  7.  If either of the applicants is divorced, the couple must wait six months after the divorce decree is final to re-marry in the State of Nebraska.
  8. If either Applicant is not of legal age (19), a notarized consent form must be signed by the Applicant's father, mother, legal guardian or custodian, giving consent to the marriage of the minor. If the individual giving consent is a legal guardian or custodian, appropriate paperwork must be presented showing this relationship to the Minor. If either applicant is under 17 years of age, a license cannot be issued in the State of Nebraska.
  9. The Marriage License is good for one year from the date of issuance anywhere in Nebraska. Your Marriage license must be obtained in the State in which you will be married. However, a license issued in one county in Nebraska can be used in any county in Nebraska.
  10. There is no waiting period.
  11. To be married by the County Court Magistrate you must call the County Court Office (402-329-6245) to schedule an appointment.
  12. All Marriage Licenses obtained in Nebraska are public record.
  13. Plan on a half hour to complete the marriage license and our hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Marriage licenses are not issued after 4:00 p.m.

To receive a copy or a certified copy of a Pierce County Marriage License you will need the following information:

  • $1.00 for a copy picked up at the Clerk’s Office ($2.00 for a copy to be mailed)
  • $9.00 for a certified copy
  • Name of Applicants (including maiden name)
  • Date of marriage
  • Must be issued from Pierce County to receive a copy

For a Certified Copy please mail a Check or Money Order to:

Pierce County Clerk
111 W. Court Street, Room #1
Pierce, NE 68767